Tuesday 18 December 2012

Every mountain you face teaches you a lesson


Last week, my Dad took the family to New Plymouth for a short break. New Plymouth is famous for its snow mountains and beautiful ocean scenery.

My Dad insisted on a two hour hike up one of the established mountain routes.

For someone who runs 3km almost everyday, my legs still turned to jelly an hour in. The only thing that kept me alive was the ticking of my brain. As I struggled up the half meter high steps, I realized that every mountain you face teaches you something.


1. The climb up is always difficult but the view on top is most spectacular

After a long and arduous two hours, we finally reached our destination. Sitting on top of the world, I savored every second of our success. We were the only family that made it that day. No matter how difficult things seem at the time, like my climb up, you will reach your goal if you keep going. The view on top is more spectacular than from any other part of the mountain.


2. Life will always move forward

I remember a beautiful quote from the Chinese drama 'Moment in Peking'.

'The world is round, it will never be square.'

My Mum explained to me; "A square has corners, once you reach the end, you will fall off. A circle is round so that there is no end. No matter what difficulties you face, remember, life goes on."

When we reached the top of the mountain, we faced the inevitable; climbing down. I was grateful because although we had wondered so far high, there was still a path down. What I'm trying to say is; like a circle, there is no dead end to our journeys. As long as we are alive, life will always move forward.

So smile because difficult times don't last forever.


3. If you run from rats, you will never complete the journey

I personally cannot stand rodents. They creep me out. About a quarter into the hike, I saw a rat scuttle across the dirt road. I practically freaked out. Still, I chose to ignore it and continue with my journey. Rats connote the insignificant frustrations that can sometimes prevent us from reaching our goals. We must have the large picture in mind and not be distracted by any rats that appear.







I hope you are all enjoying your well deserved breaks. Christmas is just around the corner and so is the excuse to gain 5 pounds.




Remember you can learn a lesson from every mountain you face.

My love forever and always,

Krystina
















No comments:

Post a Comment